When you are going off to college is the perfect time to buy a new car. This car will follow you through your college experience and make it much easier to get around your new town. With a car comes freedom, and especially if you are going to school somewhere far away from your home, having a car makes it much easier to travel back and forth and to get where you need to go, even if you are unfamiliar with the city or town where your university is.
While we know that any of our Kia models will be great for a new college student, there are some cars in our showroom that are going to be better for younger drivers. Whether you are going off to college for the first time or you are in between semesters right now, now is the perfect time to buy. We’ve picked these five vehicles specifically because they are fun to drive, stylish, and safe. They are also affordable, which makes them ideal for college students who might be strapped for cash. Here are the best Kia models for college students:
1. The Kia Soul – This vehicle is perfect for the college student that loves to stand out. There are simply no other vehicles on the market right now that look like the Kia Soul. This vehicle is all about attitude, with unique styling that makes it perfect for your unique student. While it’s true that style is important, safety and functionality are just as important, especially to your parents. On these fronts, the Kia Soul still succeeds. It has some of the best safety features in the industry and an interior that is focused on the driver. This means that everything you need is within reach and that you can easily tune the radio or adjust your settings, without taking your eyes off of the road. It is one of the most affordable models in our showroom, despite the angular, unique styling and the range of great safety features and it also boasts up to 31 mpg. It is inexpensive to purchase and it is also inexpensive to drive. While it is a compact care, you will never feel claustrophobic in this vehicle!
2. The Kia Forte – This is the smallest vehicle in our showroom, but it definitely does not lack the power that most young drivers are looking for. It prides itself on being zippy, and with up to 37 mpg, it is going to be a very economical choice. It is also one of the least expensive options, which, especially when buying your first car, can be a huge bonus. It’s a great starter car that can easily adapt to your life after graduation. The Forte comes in a number of different varieties, including the standard four door design and a hatchback variety, which gives you just a little bit more storage room and a different look to the vehicle overall. This can be the ideal choice for anyone who wants a high quality sedan or hatchback, but doesn’t want to pay the high prices other brands are demanding even for their cheapest options.
3. The Kia Sorento – A sedan might feel like the most obvious option for a young driver, but sometimes they just do not provide enough room for the student that often needs or wants to drive around large groups or haul gear. This is where the Kia Sorento comes in. Still much less expensive than your average SUV, the Kia Sorento provides much more seating (up to eight people) and also provides you with much more power. If you are a student who also likes to get away from the university on the weekends, either to hike or camp or just explore, this could be the very best option for you.
4. The Kia Sportage – An SUV, especially one as economical as the Sportage, can be the perfect vehicle for a college student. You’ll have a little bit more room, which is always appreciated when driving around friends and roommates, and the bold styling of this vehicle is certain to turn heads. As great for hauling skis as it is for toting art supplies, you cannot go wrong when you choose this vehicle. It starts at just over $20,000 for the most basic trim, which comes with all of the safety features and infotainment features that you need. Higher trim levels will give you more features. While it does not get as stellar gas mileage as one of the sedans might, it still gets up to 30 mpg, which could still help you save at the pump.
5. The Kia Optima – The Optima is one of the most popular cars on our lot and across all Kia dealerships. Why? Because the Optima is so versatile. It is styled to be both bold and sleek, without losing any of the practicality of a traditional sedan. It is bigger than the Forte, so those who need a little bit more cargo space and leg room might want to choose the Optima over something smaller like the Forte or the Rio. You’ll find luxury accents and plenty of safety features, so that you always feel like you are safe on the road, in addition to having fun while driving. It gets up to 37 miles per gallon, so you do not have to worry about paying through the nose for gas as you go on weekend adventures.