The sedan used to be the most popular car for families and commuters, and for good reason. They were the cheapest, the most fuel efficient, and the most versatile vehicles on the market. If you didn’t want to drive a minivan (and many people didn’t), you would probably buy a sedan instead. They were and still are a very sensible choice when it comes to family vehicles. But they are no longer the only option, even for those that want something inexpensive and fuel efficient. When you buy from Kia, there are a range of vehicles available that fall into the SUV or crossover category that are just as affordable as a sedan. But is a SUV a better choice than a sedan?
1. More rugged styling – When you choose an SUV over a sedan, you are probably going to get a more rugged vehicle, with a little bit more rugged styling. It is very difficult to find a sedan that can be called “rugged.” Some may be labeled “aggressive” or “stylish,” but if you are specifically looking for something with a little bit of an edge to it, a SUV is probably your best bet. This class of vehicle is more likely to have chiseled features and rugged design than any other vehicle class on the market.
2. More visibility – Buying an SUV generally means that you are going to be buying a vehicle that gets you a little bit higher off the ground. What’s so great about that? The higher you are off the ground, the fewer blind spots you have to deal with. This is actually a great safety feature, and one that you just can’t feel in vehicles that are lower to the ground. You actually get to see over most of the traffic, instead of being stuck in it like you are when you are in a lower vehicle. You simply get to see more of the road, which means fewer complications for you as a driver.
3. Safer in accidents – While there are plenty of sedans, especially from Kia, that have great crash safety ratings, you are simply going to be safer in an SUV. Larger vehicles are just statistically safer than smaller vehicles when you are in a crash. Not only are you higher off the ground and therefore less likely to slid under larger vehicles in your smaller car, you have more vehicle in between you and the crash, which means more surface area for the vehicle to absorb the impact of the crash.
4. Better seating for more people – Just because you can cram four people into the back of your sedan doesn’t mean that you should. If you routinely find yourself needing to drive around more people than there are seat belts for, you are better off buying a SUV that has more than two rows of seats than you are sticking with a smaller vehicle. Depending on which model of Kia you purchase, you might find yourself with a third row of seats that has plenty of room to accommodate children as well as adults.
5. More cargo space – Just like those who often find themselves needing to transport more than five people in total, those who often find that they have more cargo than they have space for even in the most spacious of sedan trunks, will find many of their problems solved when they buy an SUV. Not only will the bigger vehicle automatically give them more cargo space in the back, most SUVs give you the capability to fold down not just the third row, but also the second row of seats. This could mean a huge amount of storage and transporting space, no matter what you need to schlep around.
6. Tow more – If you find yourself towing anything, you will probably want to buy an SUV. While some sedans can tow, most people will never utilize this capability, simply because no sedan is actually designed to tow anything. While they might be able to do it, their engines are just not designed to drive anything other than the car and its passengers. So, whether you have a small boat or a camper or a trailer, if you even tow it, a SUV is a much better choice than your standard mid-sized sedan.
7. More clearance – Do you ever find yourself driving on a road and you can constantly hear the underside of your sedan scraping across the rocks and ridges? For those that ever leave the paved roads and venture out onto dirt ones, a vehicle with more clearance than your average sedan is going to pay off. Not only will you not have to worry about damage to the undercarriage of your vehicle, the larger tires and more rugged design means that traversing heartier terrain is usually no problem. Even if you just want to get over speed bumps easier, a SUV is the right option for you.
8. Better in nasty weather – Why? Because SUVs are larger than sedans, which also means they are going to be heavier. The heavier your vehicle is, the less susceptible it is to slipper roads. The larger wheels also mean it is less likely to get stuck in a muddy spot or a snow bank, as it has more grip and more torque. Extra ground clearance and more weight means that a washed out road is really not that big of a deal.